We are what we eat, we’ve all heard it. But what we eat quite literally becomes who we are. The food we eat, breaks down to fuel our blood, renews our cells and even affects how we think and feel. I don’t find it coincidental, that in today’s world we have reached epidemic levels of hormone imbalance, parallel to a society addicted to diet trends, processed food, artificial flavors, sugar, fake sugar and a dependance on medications. Your hormones are made from building blocks which require specific minerals, essential fatty acids, vitamins and proteins (found in whole foods) to properly function. In the plan below, I give you ten expert tips to help you reclaim your hormonal health. I recommend to try one tip at a time, until you are comfortable with the lifestyle change and then proceed to the next:
1. Build Bone Density with Dark Greens. When your estrogen production is low, you lose an average of 2-4% of your bone strength with each passing year. Combat bone loss and boost bone density by consuming mineral rich, dark, leafy greens like kale, collards and chards.
2. Boost Hormone Function with Coconut Oil. Coconut oil not only assists in balanced hormone production, but aids with reducing inflammation, boosting metabolism and promoting weight loss. It’s antibacterial and antimicrobial properties are also excellent for boosting digestive and immune health.
3. Master your Hormones with Maca. Maca is an adaptogenic root that aids in balancing overall hormones, and assists in regulating estrogen levels. Maca is rich in energy boosting B vitamins, enzymes, essential amino acids, as well as bioavailable calcium and magnesium.
4. Blast PMS Symptoms with Shatavari. Shatavari is one of the most rejuvenating herbs for women in Ayurvedic medicine. This herb helps to balance mood, combat PMS, reduce hot flashes, balance the reproductive system and heal reproductive tissue.
5. Nourish the Nervous System with Valerian, Licorice and Dandelion Roots Teas. Valerian root reduces stress on the nervous system, reduces anxiety and helps to balance sleep cycles. Licorice root contains many anti-depressant compounds, great for reducing PMS and painful periods. Dandelion root is a natural detoxifier, packed with vitamins and minerals.
6. Boost Fertility and Energize with Royal Jelly. Royal Jelly is a great source of antioxidants, energy boosting B vitamins, amino acids, iron and calcium. Excellent for anti-aging, and boosting natural fertility. Add to teas, smoothies or use as a supplement.
7. Assist Anti-Aging with Holy Basil (also called Tulsi Tea). Tulsi tea has been called the “elixir of anti-aging”. This mild tea has adaptogenic properties that naturally help to fight fatigue and stress, boost your immune function and balance both hormone and blood sugar levels.
8. Magic Mineral Magnesium: Magnesium can relieve digestive issues, boost energy levels, quell anxiety, alleviate muscle spasms (including menstrual cramps), stop migraines, strengthen bones, reduce PMS and much more. Some mineral rich, plant powered foods include lentils, spinach, squash, pumpkin seeds, pasture raised eggs, sunflower seeds, avocados, almonds, bananas.
9. Avoid Environmental Endocrine Disruptors: While we can’t live in a bubble protecting us from every toxin on earth, you can take measurable steps to eliminate your toxic load. Plastics and parabens act as serious endocrine disruptors, interfering with healthy estrogen production and use in your body. Reduce and ELIMINATE your exposure by consciously avoiding canned foods, plastic drink containers and personal care products which contain any sort of plastics, parabens, phthalates.
10. Create a Sound Sleep Plan: To help promote a sound sleep, develop a simple plan of action by incorporating one or all of the below to your daily routine:
- incorporate a night time sleepy tea ritual, 2 hours before sleeping
- choose sleep promoting teas like lavender, chamomile or valerian root
- use a hot towel on your neck and face before resting
- use essential oils to promote a tranquil sleep environment
- write in a journal for 5-10 minutes to empty buzzing thoughts from a busy day
When it comes to your endocrine system and your entire well-being, remember that we are self-healing organisms. When given half a chance, your body wants to rejuvenate, heal and thrive. Take action today, one bite at a time and always remember to consult with your doctor before incorporating any diet and lifestyle changes.