In New York City its cold, the holiday lights are aglow, and tis’ the season to make hot cocoa! (did that rhyme?)
Thing is, almost all the hot cocoa I find is made from processed chocolate, and often times watered down. The yummier versions are usually made with cow milk and (dairy based) whip cream. Below is the recipe I am currently working with, I am sure I will perfect it along the way but so far, its soooooo good. Check it out:
Medicinal Nutrition’s Healthy Hot Cocoa with coconut whipped cream:
For the Cocoa:
2 rounded TSP organic raw cacao
2 rounded TSP coconut sugar
15 oz BPA-free can full fat coconut milk
(poured into a glass container and mixed with 7 oz water, shaken)
small piece of 90% dark chocolate, shaved or chopped
1 organic candy cane, crushed (optional)
For the whip cream:
(2)15-ounce BPA-free cans FULL fat coconut milk (or coconut cream)
Make sure it is COLD, refrigerate the cans overnight!
1-2 TBSP crystalized coconut sugar
1 TSP organic vanilla extract
touch of cinnamon (optional)
There is two ways to make the whip cream, I made mine in the Blendtec Twister Jar, but I am giving you an optional way to make it with a hand mixer (or good ole fashioned beater).
For the coconut whip cream:
- Open the chilled cans and spoon out the thick cream on top into your Blendtec Twister jar (or into a bowl if using a hand mixer).
- Store the water on the bottom of the cans in a glass jar for smoothies and juices (not needed for this recipe)
- If using a hand mixer, place on high speed and whip the cream until fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- With a spoon, quickly mix in the coconut sugar, vanilla and touch of cinnamon, set aside and quickly refrigerate.
For the hot cocoa:
- In a mug, mix the cocoa and sugar with just a one or two tablespoons of coconut milk and stir until a paste, set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat about 2 cups of the coconut / water mix on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When hot, pour over the cocoa paste and stir well until everything is mixed
- Top with 1-2 TBSP of your coconut whipped cream
- Top it all off with a bit of crushed candy cane, and some shaved dark chocolate bits (optional)